Global Paramedic Higher Education Council
The Global Paramedic Higher Education Council (GPHEC) is an autonomous accrediting agency, contributing to the improvement of community health. GPHEC ensures the quality and integrity of the associate, baccalaureate, masters, and other post-graduate programs in Paramedicine, Community Paramedicine, and Critical Care Transport. GPHEC serves the public interest by assessing and identifying programs that engage in effective educational practices. As a voluntary, self-regulatory process, GPHEC accreditation supports and encourages continuing self-assessment by Paramedicine programs and supports continuing growth and improvement of collegiate professional education programs.
Scope: GPHEC serves higher education institutions and healthcare organizations throughout the world.
Mission: The council mission is to establish education criteria and assure outcomes that are based on evidence and competency, promote the progressive nature of education and lifelong learning, and ensure the employment of practitioners who are competent and who, by providing quality care, promote positive health outcomes in the populations they serve.
Values: The values of the Council are to…
- Foster trust in the process, in GPHEC, and in the professional community.
- Focus on stimulating and supporting continuous quality improvement in education programs and their outcomes.
- Be inclusive in the implementation of its activities and maintain an openness to the diverse institutional and individual issues and opinions of the interested community.
- Rely on review and oversight by peers from the community of interest.
- Maintain integrity through a consistent, fair and honest accreditation process.
- Value and foster innovation in both the accreditation process and the programs to be accredited.
- Facilitate and engage in self-assessment.
- Foster an educational climate that supports program students, graduates and faculty in their pursuit of life-long learning.
- Maintain a high level of accountability to the publics served by the process, including consumers, students, employers, programs and institutions of higher education.
- Maintain a process that is both cost-effective and cost-accountable.
- Encourage programs to develop graduates who are effective professionals and socially responsible citizens.
- Assure autonomy and due process in its deliberations and decision-making processes.
The following organizations are committed to supporting the work and mission of GPHEC and the development of global education standards.
- The Paramedic Foundation
- International Round Table on Community Paramedicine
- International Board of Specialty Certification